The 1874 inspection of the school describes it thus:
"There are two schoolrooms, one built in 1866 and detached. The other
schoolroom, enlarged in 1848, is contiguous to and partly under the
dwelling house. Two schoolrooms, about 30 yards distant from each other.
Girls and boys taught together.
Separate offices* for boys and girls, with separate approaches." The
condition of the new schoolroom was "very good", and that of the
old one "good".
One classroom was 45 feet long by 18 feet wide, with a roof from 13-21 feet
high. The other was 41 feet long, 19 feet wide, and 9 feet high. They both
had good light and drainage, one had "good" and the other
A Sunday evening class was held in the old schoolroom. [If this is the same
class as described in the notes for Mr Brown's time, it was for adults].
122 boys and
girls attended in the 6 months before March 1874.