Langrigg is remarkable among the Whitsome farms because of its
continuity of ownership. In the 1694 "List of
Hearths" , the owner is shown as Robert Ruchead. From then until
1945/6,the farm was owned by the Tait family, as follows:
(their birth years are shown to give a sense of time since it's not always
clear when they died). The farm passed between siblings several times.
James (1684), Joseph (1730), Williams (1732), George (1765), James (1769),
James (1816), James (1851), David (1855), Margaret (1861).
As will be seen, continuity was further maintained by their habit of letting
the farm to members of the family.